As much as it pains me to say it, I think I prefer Obama over McCain in this match up. News flash, McCain: a chicken sandwich does not a burger make. I haven’t heard anything from the VP candidates on their burgers of choice, but I still I’d side with the Dems. I don’t like eating moose.
For the Garlic Butter:
* 1 head garlic
* 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
* Kosher salt
For the Burgers:
* 6 8-ounce Angus beef patties
* Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup marinara sauce, plus more for serving
* 12 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
* 6 crusty rolls, such as ciabatta, kaiser or Portuguese, halved
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 350.
Make the butter:
Remove the papery outer layer from the head of garlic and slice off the top to expose the cloves slightly. Wrap the garlic in foil and roast in the oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then squeeze the roasted pulp into a bowl. Whip with the butter, parsley, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
Make the burgers:
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Season the beef patties generously with salt and pepper and grill, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning once.
Move the burgers to the cooler side of the grill (or reduce the heat on the stove) and top each with some marinara sauce and 2 slices cheese. Spread the cut sides of each roll with some of the garlic butter and place facedown on the grill. Cover and cook until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Place a burger on each roll bottom; add some chopped basil and the roll top. Serve with more marinara sauce, if desired.
* 1 lemon
* 1 lime
* 1 orange
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon adobo all-purpose seasoning
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 6 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
* 3/4 cup fresh tomato salsa, plus more for serving
* 6 slices pepper jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
* 6 challah rolls or other soft rolls, halved
* 1 Hass avocado, sliced
Finely grate the zest of the lemon, lime and orange into a medium bowl. Squeeze in the juice of each fruit. Add the chili powder, adobo seasoning and olive oil; whisk to combine. Add the chicken and coat well with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill the chicken breasts until cooked through, about 8 minutes per side, turning once. Move the chicken to the cooler side of the grill (or reduce the heat on the stove) and top each piece with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 slice cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Place a chicken breast on each roll bottom; add a few slices of avocado and cover with the roll top. Serve with more salsa, if desired.