Another birthday, another year wiser/older and another opportunity to check in on my 30×30 list. I’ve actually made some significant progress without even trying. Out of the original 30, I knocked out eight in the past 12 months. and have six more in the works. Actually, it’s conceivable I could knock out 20 of the 30 by the end of the year. Of course, a list like this is purely arbitrary; it won’t be like my first 30 years of life will be a failure if I don’t make it. It’s just nice to have goals and ideas to work toward.
1. Set foot on all seven continents STATUS: Incomplete
I’m still waiting to find that buried treasure chest that’ll help fund my trip to Antarctica. And the free flight to Australia. And the 10-day layover in Japan on the way there.
2. Go a year without drinking Dr Pepper STATUS: Done
It was rough at times, but I made it through all of 2009 without a single sip of Dr Pepper. I had one New Year’s Day to celebrate the occasion, but it wasn’t as mind blowing as I’d hoped. In the last six months, I think I’ve had four “real” Dr Peppers. I’ll stick with Diet DP for the foreseeable future.
3. Go a month drinking only water STATUS: Incomplete
This really shouldn’t be hard, but I keep forgetting. Oh well, we can’t all be perfect.
4. Take a road trip in an RV STATUS: Incomplete
No one else seems to think this sounds like a good idea.
5. Take I-40 from the Pacific to the Atlantic STATUS: Incomplete
Nope. Evidently my friends are all allergic to road trips.
6. See all 100 movies in the AFI Top 100 (sadly, I’ve only seen 31) STATUS: Incomplete
I only managed to knock Goodfellas off the list. Also, finally I saw The Goonies and Footloose. I gotta be honest: I wasn’t impressed.
7. Read a book by Ayn Rand STATUS: Done
The Fountainhead was every bit what was promised (you can read my reaction here). Next up, I get to tackle Atlas Shrugged. I’m already exhausted.
8. Be debt-free (OK “debt-free, except for my house.”) STATUS: Done
It was actually kind of disappointing that I didn’t feel a bigger wave of euphoria when I wrote that last check.
But at least I can focus on getting that savings account balance up to stuff.
9. Learn to enjoy salad STATUS: In progress
I kind of want to give myself half credit for this one. I can’t really say I enjoy salad, but I have voluntarily eaten it on several occasions in the past 12 months.
10. Develop a recipe for Brian’s Famous _______ STATUS: Incomplete
Chili? Barbecue sauce? Chicken potpie? Hummus? Artisan bread? Gumbo? Gazpacho? A “house” salad dressing? What does the world need? I need some suggestions!
11. See Paul McCartney in concert STATUS: Coming soon!
July 24, I’m Kansas City-bound. I can’t wait!
12. Write a scholarly white paper on Christian journalism STATUS: Incomplete
But I have collected a few more sources.
13. Get my credit score above 800 STATUS: Incomplete but who cares
I shouldn’t have put this one on here. I don’t have a clue what it is, but since I don’t intend to have debt again, it doesn’t make a lick of difference.
14. Help a stranger on the side of the road change a tire STATUS: Incomplete
Not yet, but I was helped on the side of the road as I changed my own tire.
15. Beat Mario I, II and III on the NES STATUS: Incomplete
I still have II and III to go. Although I did beat the New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii in like four days.
16. Organize all the papers from OBU I have stuffed in boxes in my garage STATUS: Incomplete
I get tired just thinking about it.
18. Go without a ticket for a moving violation STATUS: So far so good.
I have been stopped at two drunk driving check points, but no tickets have been issued. The two tint tickets (one and two) don’t count. And yes, I finally removed the tint.
19. Ride in a hot-air balloon STATUS: Incomplete
I have a slight fear of heights, but I just think this would be really cool.
20. Permanently learn the correct usage for who/whom STATUS: In progress
I’m getting better.
21. Permanently learn the correct definitions for tornado “warnings” and tornado “watches” STATUS: Done
We’re done with tornado season, and so far, so good. A watch is the lesser of the two evils. But in my mind, a watch would mean “we’re watching the tornado head straight for you” and a warning would mean there is a general warning that a tornado may occur. But it’s the opposite.
22. Obtain an International Driver’s License STATUS: Not yet
There isn’t really any excuse because it only costs $15. I just never think of it.
23. Vote in a primary election STATUS: Probable
Aug. 3, 2010, here I come!
24. Finally man up and eat a lobster STATUS: Done
I think I’m just not a fan of working that hard for a tiny little nuggett of meat. Plus, I’m not into eating critters that still have all their body parts attached. It probably didn’t help that I named him Howard.
25. Finally man up and eat some sushi STATUS: Done
File this one under glad I did it, but don’t need to do it again.
26. Lose 15 percent of my body weight STATUS: In progress
I’m almost to 10 percent. I should probably up that goal to 20 or 25 percent.
27. Read through the entire Bible STATUS: Not yet
I’ve started this countless times and I’ve probably hit 97 percent of it piecemeal, but I want to do in an orderly, accountable fashion. I started up again June 1 and I’m almost through Genesis and am halfway through Matthew.
28. Learn to identify the cuts of chicken on the buffet STATUS: Not yet
Shut up, OK? Just shut up. I don’t know why I can never tell which is the dark meat and which is the white, I just can’t. OK? Telling me, “just get one of the breast pieces” doesn’t help me. I must have been sick that day in school. And someone pass the white meat.
29. Buy (and maintain the website at) a URL STATUS: Done
I am the proud papa of www.brianon.com.
30. Unspoken STATUS: Not yet